Watch out Popeyes! This recipe is amazingly easy and delicious!!
Time: ~ 1 hour total
- Your choice of chicken pieces (I used thighs)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon mrs dash seasoning (without salt)
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup beer or dark lager of your choice
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- In one medium bowl, mix together 2 cups of flour, a tablespoon of garlic salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon mrs dash seasoning (without salt), about 2 tablespoons chilli powder (less if you don't want it as spicy).
- In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 2 egg yolks and 1/4 cup of dark lager/beer of choice. You may need to thin with additional beer if the batter is too thick.
- Heat enough oil to cover the chicken, depending on what parts of chicken you're using this will vary (I used chicken thighs, about 2 cups of vegetable oil & 2 tablespoons of crisco) - let heat until oil is at 350 degrees.
- Moisten each piece of chicken with a little water, then dip in the dry mix. Shake off excess and dip in the wet mix, then dip in the dry mix again.
- Carefully place the chicken pieces in the hot oil. Fry for 15 to 18 minutes, or until well browned. Smaller pieces will not take as long. Large pieces may take longer. Remove and drain oil before eating.