Crispy castiron chicken. Say that 5 times fast! I hadn’t tried this before but now that I did, I’m probably going to replace all of my fried chicken recipes with this. Probably. The thing is, it is so easy to execute that crispy skin while keeping a really juicy interior. And it’s done in 30-35 mins. And it isn’t fried which makes it healthier. So yea, no brainer.
Time: 35 mins
- 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (or any high heat oil)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Get your castiron nice and hot on high heat. Yes, you need to use a castiron skillet for this process.
- Add the safflower oil & give it 1 min to get hot.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper on the chicken.
- Use tongs to place the chicken skin-side down into the castiron.
- Let it brown for 2-3 mins then turn the heat to medium. Leave it about 8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking on the stove, preheat your oven to 475.
- When the oven is preheated & the chicken is finished from the stove, place it into the oven. Leave the chicken skin-side down.
- Bake for 10 minutes then take the castiron out and use the tongs to flip each piece over so the skin is on top. It should be nice and golden brown.
- Place it back in the oven for another 3-4 minutes. This is just to ensure the other side is cooked through.
- Remove & serve! At this time you can sprinkle on that cayenne pepper if you want it to be spicy.
It is really tasty with a mixture of white vinegar, chili pepper (we used wiri wiri) and a little fresh ginger sprinkled on top.