Here you are, folks! Another Meatless Monday miracle. I first tried calabacitas in Colorado last week, from this awesome restaurant, Kachina. They offer it as a side dish. It's really spicy so adjust the recipe to your taste! Here's my take.
Time: 20 mins
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 1 small onion
- 2 red chilis
- 1/4 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 1 tablespoon shredded Romano cheese (or whatever you have on hand that will melt well)
- 1 whole tomato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Dice the zucchini, squash, tomatoes & onion.
- In a medium skillet, heat the butter. Chop the chili peppers into little slices.
- Then add the onion when the butter is slightly melted.
- Sauté the onion for 1 min before adding in the chilis.
- Once the onion is slightly golden, add in the corn, tomatoes, squash & zuchini. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Stir to combine then cover the pan, leaving the heat on low. You should check on it & stir every so often so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- After about 10 mins, remove the cover & turn off the heat (the squash & zucchini should be cooked but not mushy).
- With the heat off, sprinkle some cheese & stir it in while it melts. This will help offset the spiciness of the chilis & also give the calabacitas a creamy taste.
Serve as a side dish or in tacos as a veggie filling!