All I want when it’s cold outside is creamy, hearty, warm meals! I got sick of eating soup variations so I tried a recipe for Butter Chicken. It’s a little spicy, really creamy, packed with flavor, and I can have it with cauliflower rice which has been my new thing. Here’s my take!
Time: 30 mins plus time for the chicken to marinate
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly sliced ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped chili pepper, I used jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce, unseasoned
- 1 cup half & half (can use heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch (optional)
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Cut the chicken into cubes, removing any fat or skin, then add it to a large freezer / zip loc bag.
- Add the yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of the cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, fresh ginger and salt.
- Close the bag removing any air, and use your hands outside of the bag to move the chicken around the mixture so it coats evenly. Refrigerate overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken, take it out of the bag with as little of the marinade as possible. Put it in a bowl & set it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add the butter, garlic and jalapeno. Let it sauté for a bit so the butter melts & the garlic cooks.
- In a small bowl, add 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, salt, tomato sauce and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the pressure cooker and cook for 5 mins. Let it release steam naturally for another 10 minutes before removing the lid. Hint: if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can slow cook the mixture for 4 hours.
- If using cornstarch to thicken the sauce, stir it into one tablespoon of water and add the mixture to the pressure cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve!