Here's a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving table! SO easy to make, and very difficult to mess up.
Time: 1 hour
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3 large potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons salted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup fat-free milk (I used fat-free Lactaid)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Scrub potatoes thoroughly, leaving on as much of the skin as you can.
- Add 3 cups of water and half of the salt to a medium-large pot - bring to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cover them - let them boil until they start to pop open a little, about 30 mins (this makes it really easy to mash them!).
- Strain the potatoes, but put the pot back on the stove so the water dries out.
- In the dried pot, add the garlic slices and butter - let it melt for about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot, the milk, remaining salt, black pepper, and chives.
- Mix the potatoes continuously allowing all of the ingredients to incorporate. You want to press down any lumps of potato so the mixture is smooth. This should take about 5 mins if the potatoes boiled long enough.
- Sprinkle a little smoked paprika for garnish (optional) and enjoy!