Holy flavor explosion! If you just started getting sick of chicken, pump up the bland & give this recipe a try.
Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 whole young chicken
- 1/2 cup grated fresh ginger (I peeled the ginger first then used a cheese grater)
- 3-4 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 habanero pepper, sliced thin (optional)
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Veggies to roast under the chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grab a 13x9 Pyrex & start laying out your veggies for roasting. I used sliced potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, snap peas, & mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt & black pepper.
- Place a rack over the vegetables & spray it with cooking spray.
- Rub the lemon juice over the chicken & inside. Pat dry.
- Use your fingers to peel the skin away from the flesh & fill it with the butter, habanero slices, & fresh ginger. Do this all around the chicken under the skin.
- Fill the cavity with the garlic cloves & any remaining ginger pieces.
- Pour the olive oil over the vegetables & chicken & bake uncovered on 375 for 2 hours or until the chicken is golden brown.