Goodbye Halal Guys cravings!! First time trying to make shawarma & I'm really excited to say it came out delicious! Warm spices marinaded over a leg of lamb for 4 hours then slow-roasted in the oven for 3.5 hours... this easy, no fail recipe will have you drooling after just smelling it!
Time: 4+ hours to marinade, 3+ hours to cook
- 1 leg of lamb
- 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of the following: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground allspice, ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cloves & ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- Salt to taste
- Butterfly the leg of lamb using a sharp knife, set aside in a large basin.
- Put all the rest of the ingredients into a food processor (including the onion) & pulse until a paste forms.
- Rub the paste all over the lamb, getting it completely marinaded. Cover the basin with clear wrap & put it in the fridge to marinate for 4+ hours (overnight is best).
- Let the lamb get to room temperature for about 20 minutes, then lay it into a pyrex flat. Cover it tightly with foil & roast it on 300 degrees for at least 3.5 hours.
- Serve with yellow rice spiced with cumin seeds, salad or in a pita!
Try my homemade white sauce! Mix mayonnaise, a dash of white vinegar, salt, black pepper, & a splash of water together. Balances out the hot sauce if you're using it on this shawarma!