A warm, flaky, savory turnover with a kick of Caribbean spice!
Time: 1 hour, 15 mins
Serving: Makes 6 patties
- 1 pack ground chicken (or meat of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1-2 sprays of PAM/other cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, chopped into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg yolk + a splash of water for egg wash
- Put all crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Take the dough out of the food processor and form it into a ball with your hands. Cover it with clear wrap and leave it in the refrigerator for about 15-20 mins.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat. Coat the bottom evenly with cooking spray.
- Add the ground chicken and seasonings, fry until the chicken is browned. Allow the chicken to cool for 10 mins.
- Take dough out of the refrigerator and break it into 6 palm-sized balls.
- Roll each ball out using a rolling pin, and fill with 2 tablespoons of the ground chicken mixture.
- Fold the top of the dough over the filling and seal with your fingers, pressing the top and bottom together. You can provide an additional seal using a fork pressed into the dough.
- Make your egg wash by beating the egg yolk and a splash of room temperature water together. Use a pastry brush to coat all of the patties with the egg wash.
- Bake on 350 for about 30 mins or until crust is golden brown.