Turnips are loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium...you're doing yourself a favor by consuming these bad boys. I've never made turnips before, so this was a toss up - but I'm very happy with how they came out! You can also try this recipe with potatoes but I think using turnips gives it a rustic, adventurous vibe!
Time: 25 mins
- 2 turnips
- 1/2 cup fat free milk (I used fat-free lactaid)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3-4 fresh leaves of parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Peel the turnips and cut them into chunks.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, adding the garlic slices as soon as the butter melts down.
- Add the turnip chunks and let them simmer for about 7 mins or until soft (turning them every so often).
- Add in the milk & parmesan cheese first, then sprinkle in the paprika, dried oregano and fresh parsley.
- Let the mixture boil for another 5 mins, so the seasonings soak into the turnips. Remove the turnips from the saucepan and into a serving bowl.
- Stir the sauce until thickened, then pour it over the turnips & enjoy!