Another perfect meal for Meatless Monday's! Falafels remind me of street food in NYC, on a cold night like tonight! They're very easy to make - and they're ready in just 20 mins - so I no longer have to stand in a cold line to have some!
Time: 20 mins - makes ~8 - 10 falafels
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 2.5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2-3 hot wiri wiri peppers if desired
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Strain & wash the garbanzo beans.
- Add all ingredients in a food processor & pulse for 2-3 mins until the mixture is fine & grainy.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (make sure the oil height is about 1 inch thick) to medium heat.
- Break off golf ball sized pieces of the mixture & form into falafel patties with your fingers.
- Add the falafels one by one to the pan & fry for 2 mins on each side (or until golden brown).
- Lay on paper towels to get any excess oil off, and serve. These go great in a salad or in pita bread!
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet fast acting yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour the yeast packet in a measuring cup. Add the sugar & warm water, stir. Place it aside in a room temperature, dark space (I put it in the microwave without turning it on). Leave it for 15 mins so the yeast bubbles up.
- Put the flour & salt in a basin. Add the yeast water, knead into a dough.
- Break 2" balls of dough & roll them each out with a rolling pin. You may need to add a little dry flour so it doesn't stick to the surface you're rolling it on. Don't roll them out too thin, let them be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use PAM spray on a flat griddle or frying pan to cook the pita bread for about 5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown.