On these newly chilly New York days, you want a light, healthy soup to warm you up. Try my Kale & Ground Turkey Soup! With creamy diced potatoes, hearty barley, swimming in a light vegetable broth... is your mouth watering yet?
Time: 45 mins
- 1 pack ground turkey
- 1 medium potato, diced small
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large pot, heat the 1st tablespoon vegetable oil on medium heat & add the garlic & onion. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes & barley, sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth & the water, bring to a boil. If you don't have vegetable broth, you can use more water with a whole vegetable bouillon cube.
- While the soup is boiling, heat the remaining vegetable oil in a large skillet to medium heat & add the ground turkey, salt & pepper.
- Once the ground turkey is browned, you can shut off the skillet & leave it on the side.
- After the potatoes are boiled in the soup (~20 mins tops), add the kale. You can now serve the soup as a vegetarian meal or add the ground meat to the pot & enjoy!