Who doesn't love a one-pot dish? Kichri is my kinda vegetarian comfort food! It combines the heat of spiced split peas with cumin & curry powder, creamy coconut milk, & fresh spinach!
Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon curry powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 handful fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup white rice (I used basmati)
- In a large pot, sauté the onions & garlic in the vegetable oil for ~2 mins.
- Add the split peas, curry powder & cumin. Add chilli paste or pepper sauce if desired, mix until combined.
- Add 1 cup of water & bring to a boil, then cover the pot & let the split peas soften for at least 25 minutes or until you can break a pea easily with your fingertips. You should check it halfway & add another cup of water, the peas will soak up the water as they boil.
- Uncover the pot, add the rice, coconut milk & the last 2 cups of water. Bring this to a boil uncovered for another 15-20 minutes or so until the rice cooks completely - turning it every so often so the bottom doesn't burn. You want it to cook until the liquid boils down so the dish is creamy, but not too liquidy.