A perfect, light, fresh dish to serve on a summery day! Traditionally, this dish in the Philippines would be served with whole fried fish rather than poached. This is my healthy take on Tilapia Escabeche.
Time: 15-20 minutes
- 2-3 pieces of tilapia fillet, cut into smaller bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 green chili peppers, sliced into smaller rounds
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt / pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat the garlic, ginger & onion in the vegetable oil on medium-low heat.
- After the onions turn translucent, add the water & oyster sauce. Increase the heat to medium.
- Add the vinegar & tilapia. If you are using chili peppers for a nice kick, add them at this time. Let simmer for a few minutes & flip the fish pieces over.
- Allow the fish to cook through on the other side for another minute or two.
- Serve with brown rice & sautéed veggies for a healthy dinner!