Tired of tomato sauce with your pasta? Got a butternut squash that you can't think of how to use? Try this incredibly easy pasta sauce! I seasoned it with fresh sage, cumin & tons of chili powder & it tastes incredible!
Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup skim milk or Lactaid
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 spoons chopped onion
- 1 spoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 vegetable boullion cube (can sub vegetable stock & don't use the water above)
- 2 sage leaves, torn into smaller pieces
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot with the onions until they start turning opaque. Then add the garlic.
- Add the butternut squash cubes to the pot & sauté for about 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, boullion cube & water.
- Cover & let the squash soften for about 10 minutes, turning every so often so it doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta of your choice (I used penne).
- Lower the heat & add the milk. Once the sauce is combined, test for salt etc.
- Turn off the heat & sprinkle in the shredded cheese.
- Toss the pasta in the pot so the sauce coats it. Enjoy!