This is my fool-proof recipe for delicious homemade bread that's ready in about an hour! It is so impressive to make your own bread but with the craziness day to day life, it is tough to find time. Not anymore! The best part is most of these ingredients are usually already on hand, so there's no need to lug yourself to the grocery store to create the perfect loaf. Try this out next time you're craving fresh bread!
Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat + 1.5 cups all purpose)
- 1 packet fast acting yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil or Italian seasoning (or spice of your choice really, you can omit this step if you don't want a flavor)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Additional warm water if needed for the dough
- Use a large measuring cup to combine the warm water, sugar & yeast. Stir to dissolve the yeast.
- Place the yeast mixture in the microwave (without turning it on!) so that it is kept in a warm dark place for at least 15 minutes. Yeast will be bubbly when you take it out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large basin, mix the flour, seasoning, & salt together.
- Add in the olive oil & yeast, mix into the flour. Kneed until everything is combined. It's okay if you over-kneed for this dough, you want the gluten activated as much as possible.
- Sprinkle some extra flour on a cookie sheet to avoid the dough sticking to the pan.
- Add the dough on top of the flour & shape with your hands into a loaf. Hint: sometimes I need the bread to cook fast so I make 2-3 smaller loafs and use 2 cookie sheets to bake them in.
- Use a sharp knife to make 3 small slits on top of the loaf.
- Bake on 350 for about 20 - 30 minutes or until the top is crusty. Timing will depend on how tall / thick you made your loaf & how many loafs you split it into. This recipe can make 3 small/medium sized loafs in 15-20 minutes!