This was my first time roasting a chicken! I'm excited with the way it came out, recipe below!
Time: 2 hrs
- 1 young chicken - 4-5lbs
- 1/2 bulb fennel
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter or Smart Balance
- 1 handful fresh fennel leaves
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 slices of lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dice the fennel & smash 4 of the cloves of garlic. Slice the lemon. Set aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of butter with the lemon zest, & add the remaining garlic clove, minced.
- Rub outside the whole chicken with the lemon slices.
- Stuff inside the cavity with the diced fennel, smashed garlic cloves & lemon slices. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter inside.
- Use a piece of cooking string to tie the legs together, and the wings if needed.
- Place your fingers under the skin of the chicken, pull up gently so there's a gap between the skin & the flesh. Start adding chunks of the butter mixture & press it down so it's evenly coated under the skin.
- Turn the chicken over & do the same to the other side of skin.
- Sprinkle the salt & pepper on both sides, then the dry thyme & fresh fennel leaves.
- Coat with olive oil on the top.
- Roast on 400 degrees F for 1 hour, then turn it over & roast for another 30 mins.
- So that the skin on top of the chicken is crispy, turn the oven off & flip the chicken over, putting it back in the oven for 5 mins.
- Cut & serve!
I ate this with my homemade mustard sauce - it was delish! Just take 2 tablespoons of sour cream, add in 1 tablespoon of spicy mustard & 1 teaspoon honey. Mix & enjoy!