Broccoli Cheddar soup is one of my faves. It is perfect for my Meatless Monday's - I would get it from Panera or Au Bon Pain - until I found out they use chicken stock in the base! No more Panera or Au Bon Pain for me (at least on Monday's!). Here's a vegetarian version I came up with - it's easy & delish!
Time: 45 mins total
- 1.5 cups chopped broccoli (I got these frozen, and chopped them finer)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk (can use lactaid)
- 1/4 white onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 handful diced or shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1-2 pinches of smoked paprika (optional)
- Heat the chopped onion, carrots and garlic in a pot with the butter or oil for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
- Add the flour, seasonings & broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Stir in vegetable broth and milk and bring to a boil - then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for 5 - 7 mins before slowly adding the cheddar cheese (keep stirring so it melts & doesn't clump).
- Sprinkle on paprika if desired - and serve!
This recipe yields 3-4 adult-sized servings.