Cutting out carbs for the new year? Have no fear, stuffed cabbage is here! You can still enjoy a delicious meal and be full - without feeling guilty after. This recipe (inspired by my aunt!) is easy and delicious and can serve as an appetizer, side dish or a meal by itself.
Time: 40 mins, serves 5
- 1 pk. ground meat (of choice)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium onion- finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 4-6 tablespoons cooked brown rice (can substitute quinoa or any other grain)
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 10 cabbage leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling water for about 3 minutes then drain them and set them aside to dry completely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium sauce pan, then add the package of ground meat, salt and pepper. After meat is no longer pink, add onion, thyme, and cooked rice. Sautée for about 5 minutes.
- Add appropriate amount of ground meat and rice mixture to cabbage leaves (amount depends on the size of the leaf, careful not to over-stuff them) then roll them closed.
- Spread 2-4 tablespoons of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13x9" Pyrex container, then add stuffed cabbage rolls, the sealed side facing down in the pan.
- Add the remaining red sauce on top of stuffed cabbages - garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Tip: if you are allergic to tomatoes or don't like them, you can always enjoy a crispy no-bake version without the sauce! Still delicious.