Nothing better than a savory pie on a cold, rainy, NYC evening! Spiced ground lamb with peas & carrots smothered with garlic mashed potatoes. Need I say more? Recipe below, try it. Your tummy will thank you.
Time: 1 hour
- 1 packet ground lamb or meat of your choice
- 2 large rustic potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup peas & diced carrots mixed (I used frozen kind, canned will work too)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder, ground cumin, & cayenne pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- 1 handful cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk or lactaid
- Submerge the potato chunks in water in a large pot. Bring the water to a boil & leave it for about 25 minutes or until they are soft enough to mash.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a skillet or pot. Add the onion & garlic.
- Brown the ground meat in the pot with the garlic & onion (include the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepper.)
- Use a deep Pyrex dish to scoop the browned meat into.
- Using the skillet or pot the meat browned in, sauté the carrots & peas with a little salt & pepper. Pour these over the ground meat in the Pyrex.
- Strain the potato chunks once they're soft & then pour them back into the pot they boiled in (without the water).
- Mash the potatoes with salt, pepper & milk. Spread them on top of the carrots & peas.
- Sprinkle on the chives, handful of shredded cheese & smoked paprika & bake for 15 minutes on 350 degrees.