Comfort food can be healthy! Lightly breaded fish in with a warm tomato stew - YUM! Definitely a winner for cold nights like this. I used cod because it's what I had in the freezer but you can try this with tilapia also.
Time: ~45 mins
- 4 pieces of cod (I had frozen pieces that I defrosted)
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- ~2 tablespoons of dry all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can tomato puree or 1/2 can tomato paste with 1/2 cup water
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes (or a few grape tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying the fish
- Wash fish and pat dry. Season with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Coat the fish in dry flour and fry each piece for about 2 min on each side until light brown (in medium-hot oil).
- Remove the fish from the oil, drain some of it so there's only about a tablespoon of oil left.
- Heat remaining oil back to medium heat, throw in the onion and minced garlic.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients above (excluding the fresh tomatoes), let simmer until the gravy is thick.
- Carefully put the fish back in so it does not break apart.
- Cut the fresh tomatoes and layer around and on top of the fish - cook for only 2 mins.
- Serve with plain rice & some lime or mango chutney!