I used to think making pasta from scratch was too ambitious - especially since I don't have any pasta extensions to help with the shape. Then I decided to try making gnocchi... so incredibly easy, fast & delicious! Plus you can season it however you want and explore all sauce options!
Time: 30-35 mins
- 2 brown potatoes, medium to large sized
- 1.5 - 2 cups all purpose flour depending on the size of your potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tablespoons truffle oil
- 1-2 fresh sage leaves
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes & boil them in lightly salted water until soft & mashable.
- Drain the potatoes & mash them until smooth. Add the flour & egg.
- Mix with your hands so the mixture becomes a dough.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or table top. Place your ball of dough on the surface & break off a golf ball size.
- Roll the dough ball into a log, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut 1/2 inch pieces from the log. You can decorate them by lightly flouring the back of a fork & pressing it into the gnocchi to form a design.
- Poach the gnocchi in salted water until the pieces float to the top.
- Drizzle the truffle oil on the mixture & sprinkle in pieces of the sage. You can add salt & pepper at this time.. maybe even some fresh thyme!