Winter is for yummy warm hearty soups! You don't have to go out in the cold to enjoy a nice bowl of Udon. Here's an easy vegetarian homemade recipe that will be worth your while.
Time: 2 hours (most of this is the mushrooms soaking)
- 1 pack udon noodles
- 1 pack shiitake mushrooms (can be sliced or not)
- green onion
- soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- egg if you'd like to add it to your udon
- First, wash the mushrooms & then place them in a tall Tupperware / container. Add water to cover the mushrooms (and about 1/2 cup more)
- Place another Tupperware / container pressing on top of the mushrooms to keep them from floating. Cover with clear wrap & refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours (overnight is better).
- Next, make the udon according to the package (pretty much add them to boiling water then straining them & putting in an ice bath so they don't over cook).
- In a medium sauce pan, add the broth along the mushrooms (you can slice them at this point if they aren't sliced).
- Bring the broth to a boil, add in a couple splashes of soy sauce (depending on how much you like, I used about 1.5 teaspoons).
- Add in the udon noodles and pepper if you like.
- Crack an egg one by one into the pot so it poaches in the liquid (if you like).
- Serve hot, garnish with green onion. Enjoy!