Tired of the cold/snow? Warm up in no time with this recipe! Don't worry, my Vegetarian Barley Soup is soup-er easy!! The potato pieces practically melt in your mouth, and help keep you fuller, longer. Try this next time you're in the mood for a quick, comforting meal.
Time: 40 mins
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thing or minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 small red potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté the diced onions, ginger and garlic in olive oil for 1-2 mins until the onion pieces are transparent.
- Add the potatoes, barley, thyme, salt and pepper - stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and water, bring to a boil then add the bouillon cube.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and let sit for 30 mins or until the potatoes are soft enough to easily cut through.
- Add the pepper sauce if desired, stir and enjoy!