Strawberry perfection!! These scones will make your whole house smell delicious. And get this, they're eggless!! Try this recipe next time you're craving home-baked goodness. Or next time you have a bunch of berries to get rid of before they go bad. :)
Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped (I froze mine overnight for easier handling)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into small dices, add it to the flour mixture. Then use your hands to incorporate the butter into the flour. It will look grainy.
- Add the small pieces of frozen strawberries to the mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and applesauce until smooth. Add this to your medium bowl, and stir until a large dough form. (Use your hands to form it into a ball.)
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape it into a 7- to 8-inch circle (about 3/4-inch thick).
- Use a sharp knife to cut the scones into small triangles (or desired shape) and place them on a cookie sheet (spray with PAM first).
- Sprinkle the scones with 1/2 teaspoon white sugar if you like (I did!)
- Bake on 400 degrees until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes and enjoy!