One of my fave appetizers, side dishes, or snacks in the summer! Save those green tomatoes at the end of the summer & make use of them with this 15 minute recipe. You won't regret it, fried green tomatoes are so delicious & easy to make!
Time: 15-20 mins depending how many you're making, this recipe serves 2-3 ppl
- 2-3 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup panko
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk (I used lactaid)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated asiago cheese as a garnish if desired
- Cut the tomatoes into even slices, you don't want them too thick or they'll be still raw on the inside when you fry them.
- Heat the vegetable oil to medium heat in a frying pan.
- Get 3 small bowls. Put the flour, salt & pepper in one bowl, the egg & milk (beaten) in another bowl, & the panko in the third bowl.
- Dip the tomatoes one by one into the flour bowl first, then the egg mixture, then the panko.
- Fry until golden brown on each side (about 2-3 mins) .
- Drain on a paper towel then serve with your favorite dressing or spicy mayo!
- Hint: I sprinkled the tops with freshly grated Asiago cheese to complete the taste & give it a fancy look!