One of my fave appetizers, side dishes, or snacks in the summer! Save those green tomatoes at the end of the summer & make use of them with this 15 minute recipe. You won't regret it, fried green tomatoes are so delicious & easy to make!
Time: 15-20 mins depending how many you're making, this recipe serves 2-3 ppl
- 2-3 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup panko or Goya corn meal
- 1/4 cup milk (I used lactaid)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- Optional: 1 teaspoon grated asiago cheese as a garnish
- Cut the tomatoes into even slices, about 1/2 inch. You don't want them too thick or they'll be still raw on the inside when you fry them.
- Heat the vegetable or sunflower oil to medium heat in a frying pan.
- Get 3 small bowls. Put the flour, salt & pepper in one bowl, milk in another bowl, & the panko or cornmeal in the third bowl. Season all 3 bowls with salt & pepper.
- Dip the tomatoes one by one into the flour bowl first, then the milk, then the panko or cornmeal.
- Fry until golden brown on each side (about 2-3 mins).
- Drain on a paper towel then serve with your favorite dressing or spicy mayo! Also goes well with ranch.
Hint: I sprinkled the tops with freshly grated Asiago cheese to complete the taste & give it a fancy look!